Thursday, October 13, 2011

MOW Volunteer: '...A Lot of Unexpected Benefits to My Experience'

If you've thought about volunteering in the community, consider the experience of Susie, a Meals On Wheels volunteer.
"I always knew I'd enjoy volunteering for Meals On Wheels, but there were a lot of unexpected benefits to my experience," she said.
"The more I got to know the seniors on my delivery route, the more comfortable I felt -- and the more I looked forward to seeing them again. It was as if I'd knocked on my own grandmother's door; she lived alone and would have loved it if someone stopped by to bring a meal and chat. I'm proud to be part of a network of volunteers that provides a much-needed service and builds lasting relationships with seniors in our community."
Susie's experience is featured in a promotional campaign created by the Meals On Wheels Association of America to help raise awareness about the issue of senior hunger in America -- and what meal delivery programs from coast to coast are doing to solve the problem.
Right now there is an urgent need for volunteers in Stark and Wayne counties. Most of our volunteers deliver meals once a week. Deliveries start at 11 a.m. and take between 60 and 90 minutes, depending on the route. We have 21 sites in the two-county area, and we'll match you to a location that is most convenient to where you live or work.
We provide training, step-by-step route directions, and mileage reimbursement. If you'd like to help, call 330-832-7220 -- or click here to complete our online volunteer application.
For many of our clients, Meals On Wheels volunteers are the only people they see during the day. We offer peace of mind for them and their loved ones by checking in on them on a regular basis. Your service as a Meals On Wheels volunteer will brighten their days and make a huge difference in their lives.
Please join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment